Why you should be using LED lights in your home

By Sklar Furnishings

Design Inspiration, Tips & Trends

June 16, 2016

LED (or light emitting diode) bulbs are the most advanced lighting type available — some lighting experts describe them as “digital” lights, while traditional or incandescent bulbs are more comparable to “analog” technology. In the past, LEDs have more commonly been found in commercial or public spaces, where their brightness and low running costs are appreciated, but they’re rapidly becoming a welcome feature in more and more homes.

LEDs offer some significant advantages over traditional or incandescent bulbs, including:

Longer life expectancy
LEDs have a life expectancy of 100,000 hours, or 11 years of continual use. This is very high compared to incandescent bulbs, which have an expected lifetime of 1,000 hours. At the end of their lives, rather than burning out like traditional light bulbs, LEDs very slowly grow dim as they produce less energy. That means you never have to worry about them suddenly dying and leaving you in the pitch darkness.

Lower power consumption
Incandescent bulbs produce more heat than light — up to 80% of the energy used becomes heat, with only the remaining 20% producing light. With LEDs, those percentages are reversed, with 80% of your energy becoming light and only 20% dispersed as heat. That efficiency translates to a lower power bill.

Reduced environmental impact
LED bulbs consume less electricity, while their longer life expectancy means you’ll be removing and throwing away far fewer bulbs. This adds up to lighter environmental footprint, making LEDs the clear choice for green homes.

LED bulbs are significantly more expensive than traditional incandescent bulbs — usually several times the price. However, that price difference is more than compensated for by reduced power bills and fewer replacements.

Quote List (0)

    Submit Quote

    Thank you for your message
    We have received your message and a member of our team will get back to you shortly.
    Opps, Something went wrong
    Your message hasn't been submitted because of some errors, please refresh the page and try again after some time.

    You quote list is currently empty.

    See something you like on the product pages? Scroll down and click on the Add to Quote List button to add it to your quote list.

    Wish list click example

    Not sure where to start?

    Browse some of our most popular product categories.

    This field is required.
    Invalid email format.
    Some of the fields are not filled or invalid.
    Form Template
    Select a Form Template
    Available fields in the selected template:
    Templates Library
    Loading, Please wait...
    The Library cannot be open, please try it again later.